Things to prepare:
- 2/3 cup milk.
- 1 shot of espresso.
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar, optional.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (you can also use vanilla bean paste or vanilla bean).
- Cocoa powder for the top.
How to make it:
- Heat milk with vanilla and sugar if using. It is not necessary to boil it just make sure is hot.
- Prepare the espresso with either the French press or as I do, with a simple traditional stovetop espresso maker.
- If you think it is too strong add some hot water to it.
- Pour the hot milk into the French press.
- Cover with the top and pump up and down until the desired froth is formed.
- Pour the frothy milk into a glass until almost full. Set aside for a minute to let the milk separate from the thick foam on top.
- Pour the espresso over the milk and you will see how it sets between milk and foam, creating this three-layer effect.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top if desired and serve.